Pages

Saturday 9 July 2016

Crappy photos of work in progress

Here's what I've been doing lately...

First I finished one more linocut for my artbook side projec:

(The paper is 21x29,7 cm.)

Here's a close-up, so you can see how nice and sludgy the paint looks:


I also found some affordable spray varnish, to make the paint water-resistant.
When I was done with that, I started cutting the next plate, for the brain box picture:


In addition to that I began to try and make a sculpture based on it. 
I'm a little excited about it, because it's my second attempt to make a sculpture, after I quitted the one with the giant eyeball (I just didn't manage to make it look like I wanted it). Because I didn't want to have troubles finding the right degree of naturalism with the eyeballs again, I ordered some plastic doll eyes from China (I just couldn't find any shop which sells them over here, so I had to wait almost two weeks, until they arrived at my home):


Plus I bought three different kinds of springs, because I didn't know how they would work out. 
I actually still want to make at least one sculpture of my brain box, that really works like a Jack-in-the-Box. Though I already know that one of the springs is too hard for this purpose (the one on the right), so I'm setting my hopes on the other ones.
This is what the sculptures are looking like right now:


The white stuff, which is going to become the brains, is cotton wool soked in glue, mixed with water. I only made the base and it still has to dry until I can get on with modelling the brains.
After I'm done with them, I still have to make three boxes. But unfortunately the wood-workshop at my uni is closed until August, so I'm thinking of making boxes from cardboard. Though I don't think I can make the Jack-in-the-Box work, if the material from which the box is made is too soft, to keep its top closed and the spring contracted inside of it.
We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.