Pages

Tuesday 16 February 2016

The destruction of mankind

As I said, I had this idea for an artbook about blood and its meaning throughout the history of mankind. Today I started going through some ideas for a concept.
I started reading a new book and doing some research on this subject. The book I'm reading starts with the usage and meaning of blood in ancient egypt. 
So my first intetion was to do chronological drawings following historical events. I gave that up very soon, because it's just too much and the pictures wouldn't really connect, because the only thing they'd have in common would be blood. 
Then I thought of only drawing pictures of religious rituals or mythologies that are concerned with blood.
Because of the book I'm reading, I came up with ideas for drawings about egyptian mythology.
First I wanted to draw the god Seth who helps battling Apophis (some kind of evil snake) every night so the sun can rise every morning. But then I read about the "Destruction of Mankind", which is a story about the godess Sakhmet (who is displayed with the head of a lion). People on earth were plotting against the sun-god Ra, so when he got wind of that, he sent Sakhmet to earth to destroy mankind. She starts slaying people and drinking their blood. But then Ra feels pity for the people and makes Sakhmet drunk with some kind of mock blood, so she eventually becomes peaceful again.

I drew this picture, but I also ditched the idea of mythologies for an artbook concept, because the pictures would be flooded with confusing symbolism.
This means I still don't have a concept...but I have this picture for you:





Now I thought of sticking to blood and medicine as a subject for the artbook, we'll see how that works out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.